Tips for Saving on Bathroom & Kitchen Remodeling
Remodeling a bathroom or kitchen isn’t just a simple way to increase your home’s resale value for future buyers; it’s also an excellent way to refresh the look and feel of your home for years to come. However, the scope and intensity of these sorts of projects can often feel overwhelming for many homeowners, largely because of the costs associated with remodeling projects.
Whether you’re planning to bring in a professional crew or hoping to DIY a few small changes, we’ve put together a few things to keep in mind when it comes to planning your perfect kitchen or bathroom remodeling project:
Start With a Plan
Before you break open any drywall or drill any holes, it’s important to plan out what you want to do. Neglecting to plan a remodeling project in advance is how many homeowners wind up paying extra to complete their project, so take the time to consider the following areas before you start and think things like:
- The layout of the room. Can you keep the existing layout to fit with your idea?
- Replacing old or dated items. If you’re planning to buy new appliances or fixtures, make sure to factor these costs while planning.
- Ask yourself what you can live without. Are there things you can replace later, or areas that don’t necessarily need to be altered?
Upgrade Items Instead of Whole Rooms
If you’re looking to spruce up a kitchen or bathroom without blowing the bank, then consider upgrading a few key items instead of overhauling the whole room. This trick is an easy and cost-effective way to liven up any old and dated room while staying budget-friendly.
Some ways you can brighten up an old kitchen or bathroom are:
- Update your cabinets. Many remodeling projects include pulling out old cabinets, but if you can spruce them up with a new coat of paint or some fancy handles instead, you can save thousands of dollars.
- Paint a feature wall. Adding an eye-catching feature wall in an unusual color or with a fun pattern will instantly add new life to a room.
- Update your light fixtures. You’d be surprised at how different a room can look with a new light, or series of lights installed. Go for something unique to add an exotic flair without blowing through your budget.
- Other Ways to Keep Costs Down
So much of a successful remodeling project comes down to planning and asking yourself hard questions to determine what your costs will be. That way you can be prepared when fees and new purchases come up, and you can decide ahead of time what to spend money on and where to save.
Some areas to consider when it comes to cutting costs are:
- DIY… a little. Some things can be done by an untrained professional, and the more you can do yourself the better. However, when it comes to electrical and plumbing it’s important to pay for a professional inspection.
- Consider scaling back. Larger projects naturally come with heftier price tags, so if you can minimize the work that needs to be done you can keep prices much lower.
- Decide what to replace and what to keep. If your old tub still works correctly, they why tear it out? Do you need a new stove? Ask yourself hard questions and you’ll find lots of opportunities to save.
The experts at Terry Ross Plumbing in Leesburg, FL have years of experience helping homeowners just like you keep costs down while updating their kitchens and bathrooms. Give us a call at (352) 728-6053 for a professional inspection and find out how we can help.